Thursday, January 29, 2009

Exxon Valdez Part II

So, I remember learning all about oil spills and what they do to marine life in the fifth grade. And the pictures we were showed in class always showed how much of a mess they were to clean up. And the birds, the poor birds and their poor feathers.

Well, at least I thought I understood what a disaster it was until I actually experienced one myself.

In my kitchen.

I had the brilliant idea to try and make fried pickles, thank you Baby Fish Mouth. So, I put the oil in the skillet, just ho humming along make the batter, etc. When all of the sudden, I hear this loud POP.

And I look over and there is oil splattered all over the better quarter of my kitchen. Well, I thought, that was weird, maybe a freak occurrence. But I kept my distance just in case.

Well, it kept doing it! Apparently there was some water in the oil which causes it to explode like Old Faithful.

So, I took it off the heat.

Except there was oil EVERYWHERE. And it took forever to clean up and my floor is still a little bit slippery. And I don't even have any birds to wash off!

So, please, I am begging you, next time there is an oil spill, take a moment to let it really sink in how disastrous of an event it really is, just trust me.

PS - I started over and the fried pickles were delish! So were the pot stickers I made last night from Trader Joe's.

No comments: