Thursday, March 12, 2009

Jack Daniel's - A Review

Okay, so this isn't really a review because I am 100% biased but if I were going to review Tennessee whiskey it would be based on 1) smoothness; 2) taste; 3) value; 4) how well it mixes with diet coke / can I take a shot of it without cringing; and new on the scale for whiskey 5) if I can drink it straight on the rocks.

In all aspects, Jack gets a big fat A+.

A couple of weeks ago, the DH, my cousin from Texas, his girlfriend and I had the pleasure of going on the Jack Daniel's tour in Lynchburg, TN. Lynchburg is located in a dry county so unfortunately no tasting ensued, well, until we got home and drank some of my Step-Dad's Gentleman Jack. As one tour guide said, "This is the wettest dry county around".

Check out some pics from the tour:

This is the spring where they get the water from to make the whiskey. Jack's statue is outside the spring, he was only 5'2"!







140 proof whiskey before it is "mellowed". I definitely singed some nose hairs just walking by that thing.








Fermentation process. That was one intense yeast smell.






Mellowing. The whiskey is mellowed over sugar maple charcoal that the distillery makes by burning a bunch of wood soaked in...you guessed it, whiskey.


The barrels are made at the distillery as well and are seen here while the whiskey matures. Jack Daniel's has a green label, I'm personally not a fan just because I associate Jack with being delicious and the green isn't so delicious. But it is probably the best green label whiskey on the market.



This is a barrel of whiskey. You can buy an entire barrel of the Single Barrel whiskey for only $10,000. They ship you the barrel itself when you buy one and you get your name on a plaque in the room pictured here. WalMart Germany had purchased seven of these. Haha, I don't know why I find that so entertaining.

If I am ever able to purchase one, that barrel will be proudly displayed in my front yard.

If you ever get the chance, definitely go on this tour. You can purchase commemorative bottles there but regardless, it is probably the best "adult beverage" tour you will go on even though there is no tasting.

3 comments:

Not Another Omnivore said...

I absolutely love it! The boyfriend and I keep meaning to get there, but have yet to do so. I guess I actually have been there but when I was little.

Fact: my Mom used to work for Jack Daniel's. When I was born they passed out miniature whiskey bottles instead of cigars. My grandma gave me one on my 21st birthday. I guess she had been saving it all these years.

Fact: My Mom has a Jack Daniel's medallion on her key ring to this day and when my siblings and I hear it...it's like her whistle almost ya know? We can all tell that sound when it hits against the other keys from a mile away. We come running.

Anywho, if the burrito review goes well, which I don't know why it wouldn't and you feel like posting this review as well, you are more than welcome to. I actually have very little preference on when you post things, I just like to plan it to make sure I don't post anything over them.

I'm still trying to get your brother to Guest Blog. He's thinking about it, but hasn't come up with a solid topic yet. I feel like he has some things to say. I want to hear about his experiences at the vineyard, I think he's thinking more along the lines of plant based diets...we'll see.

holla!

NAOmni

Holland said...

Ha, that is awesome! Can't believe your grandmother saved that bottle for all of those years. The bro definitely needs to write something. Something about the vineyard would tie in really well with the yellow tail series. Let me know about posting the Jack review, any time is fine with me.

Sophia Lee said...

wow! very very interesting. I'm learning something new everyday!